Rose Byrne Interview about X men and Russell Brand

Monday, June 13, 2011

'Working with Russell Brand was a challenge - obviously his reputation precedes him': The world according to Rose Byrne


By Jeff Dawson



Last updated at 1:46 AM on 12th June 2011

The Australian actress on why she would work with the British comedian again, being a teenage hellraiser and demeaning dates


'I was a teenage hellraiser. Young, wild and foolish. I'd sneak out of the window and go to all-night parties. I once gave a guy a black eye for spurning my advances,' said Rose Byrne
'I was a teenage hellraiser. Young, wild and foolish. I'd sneak out of the window and go to all-night parties. I once gave a guy a black eye for spurning my advances,' said Rose Byrne
Australian actress Rose Byrne came to the attention of British audiences in the Thirties romance I Capture The Castle (2003) alongside Bill Nighy and Romola Garai.

Following a Hollywood leg-up as Brad Pitt’s love interest in the epic Troy in 2004, she has appeared in all manner of guises, including a spaceship pilot in Danny Boyle’s Sunshine and Russell Brand’s girlfriend Jackie Q in Get Him To The Greek. Four years ago, Byrne moved to New York to become an Emmy-nominated fixture on the TV legal drama Damages.

The single 31-year-old has enjoyed an impressive spring this year, starring in X-Men: First Class and horror hit Insidious, but is poised to top these successes in the Hangover-style female comic romp Bridesmaids, which has already been a box-office smash in the U.S.


I’m a Home And Away reject.


I auditioned for the Australian soap a few times, but I failed to get my rite of passage. I grew up in Balmain, Sydney, and started acting young. I always admired the Australian actors who have gone on to have international careers – Nicole Kidman, Toni Collette, Cate Blanchett, Rachel Griffiths. I eventually got onto a soap called Heartbreak High, but it was cancelled!

The British take a little while to warm up, but Australians find humour in any situation.


Americans, meanwhile, tend to be far more earnest. I think there’s a cultural affinity between the British and Australian people because of our history. Maybe that’s why James McAvoy and I had a good laugh on the set of X-Men. I don’t think I’m a particularly funny person. It’s not, ‘Get Rose to the dinner party, she’ll crack you up’, but I’m an appreciative audience.

Russell Brand and Rose Byrne
'You never know how he's (Russell Brand) going to be, and you're working with someone who's had many colourful 'incidents'. Thankfully he's got an off switch... he was pretty focused'

No one in Britain can believe I chose to live in Hackney when I could have been living in Bondi Beach.


But it’s fantastic. I’m serious! I still own a house there. There are so many artists there. I love the markets, the parks, the pubs, the diversity. It’s a cultural melting pot. Making X-Men was terrific because I was there again for six months. The majority of it was filmed at Pinewood, but I would end up on the Central line every weekend going back to east London to my house and friends.


I become hysterical with laughter on set – particularly when I’m tired.


Working with Russell Brand was a challenge – obviously his reputation precedes him. You never know how he’s going to be, and you’re working with someone who’s had many colourful ‘incidents’. Thankfully he’s got an off switch, so when we were working there was some laughter, especially during the improvisation, but he was pretty focused. Yes, he’s eccentric, but I would work with him again in a heartbeat. He has lovely people around him too, a great team, which I think says a lot about a person.

Demeaning. Awful. Insulting.


That’s how I’d describe some of the dates I’ve been on. But I’m fine! I have a very normal life and existence – I’m really grateful for that. I like quiet time. I recharge by being by myself. I’ve never been one to fantasise about my wedding. Reserve your sympathies for anyone who’s been near a nuclear reactor in northern Japan.

'I think there's a cultural affinity between the British and Australian people because of our history. Maybe that's why James McAvoy and I had a good laugh on the set of X-Men'
'I think there's a cultural affinity between the British and Australian people because of our history. Maybe that's why James McAvoy and I had a good laugh on the set of X-Men'

Every time I visit my parents I have to watch out for deadly brown snakes.


My mum and dad run a garlic farm in Tasmania and the landscape is just stunning, wild and rugged, but it’s infested with snakes – if you get bitten you’ve got to get an antivenom shot within 35 minutes or you could die. Most people keep the shots on the farm, but my parents don’t. They’re playing with fire. It’s worse in the summer, but you see them all the time. My parents laugh about it, but it’s scary. I’ll take precautions if I’m doing any bush walks. I’m not a fan of snakes.

I was a teenage hellraiser.


Young, wild and foolish. I’d sneak out of the window and go to all-night parties. I once gave a guy a black eye for spurning my advances. I was 19 at the time and he was the one guy I badly wanted to kiss. He obviously didn’t find me remotely attractive, and that made me livid. I’ve got puny arms, so I’m not that big a puncher. But I was so enraged at the party that I really landed one on him. I was never a nasty girl, but I was way too cheeky for my own good.


'I've never been a bridesmaid, but I've heard enough horror stories,' said Rose, above with Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids
'I've never been a bridesmaid, but I've heard enough horror stories,' said Rose, above with Kristen Wiig in their new film Bridesmaids

I’m incredibly insecure about work and my career, even now.


Being an actor is mostly about rejection and being out of work. I’m ambitious but I’m not particularly competitive. I’ll try to get roles, as I think it’s healthy to go for things, but I think there’s too much competition between women already. It’s important to have female solidarity and for us to support each other. The feeling of insecurity never leaves you. This is such an arbitrary, random business.

Severe panic attacks plagued my early twenties.


I’d feel like I was going crazy, like I was completely losing my grip on reality. My dad’s very manic, so I figured that’s where I got it from. I’m a lot more relaxed now. A few years ago in Sydney I took a course in how to deal with panic attacks, and that was a big turning point for me. I still get anxious, but when I do I know how to control it a bit better. If I’m in a crowded place I immediately feel anxious.

I’ve never been a bridesmaid, but I’ve heard enough horror stories.


When I read the script for Bridesmaids I thought it was hilarious, as I’d met all these girls before. My character, Helen, is an over-the-top control freak and obsessive-compulsive. Everybody knows a Helen. There’s something inherently bizarre and stressful about a hen party. It’s a bunch of people who would never choose to spend time with each other forced into a situation where they have to have ‘fun’. A friend of mine went to Miami with her bridesmaids and two of them had a massive fight. In Australia, hen parties usually seem to involve boats. Girls always seem to want to go on a boat before they go to the restaurant, nightclub, fist fight, whatever!


I find going to church inspiring.


My parents are hardcore atheists, but I’m more agnostic. I don’t think I’m convinced either way. I wasn’t brought up with any relationship to religion, but there’s this great church across the road from me in the East Village that I’ve been going to. Not really in a religious way. It’s very progressive and the woman there gives these great sermons – a bit of a chat about a moment in life and how to deal with it. And they sing a great gospel song. It’s important to be optimistic rather than pessimistic in life.

‘Bridesmaids’ is released on June 24


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2001648/X-Men-First-Classs-Rose-Byrne-Working-Russell-Brand-challenge.html#ixzz1P4AtqzyL