Beyoncé reveals plans for maternity fashion line ~ Harper's Bazaar

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

'I love figuring out designs that still make me feel edgy and sexy': Beyoncé reveals plans for maternity fashion line



By Tamara Abraham

Last updated at 6:19 PM on 11th October 2011


The announcement of her pregnancy sent Twitter into near meltdown. Now Beyoncé has revealed that she is to harness some of that media interest by designing a maternity fashion line.

The star, 30, who is expecting her first child with husband Jay-Z in February, says she will be expanding her House of Deréon fashion label to include bump-friendly pieces.

In a new interview with U.S. Harper's Bazaar, she said: 'All I see now are clothes that are flattering on a pregnant woman.


Beyonce
Maternity style: Beyoncé, pictured in Salvatore Ferragamo on the cover of U.S. Harper's Bazaar, has announced that she will be expanding her House of Deréon fashion label to include bump-friendly pieces

'It's been so exciting for me! I love figuring out designs that still make me feel edgy and sexy while pregnant. Flowy fabrics are always flattering - but I still rock my stilettos.'




The singer, who appears on two different covers for the magazine's November issue, admitted that dressing to both hide and reveal her pregnancy over the past few months had been fun.

But deciding what to wear to make the announcement was an epic task - the orange Lanvin gown she chose was one of 70 she considered.


Beyonce
Designs on pregnancy: The star, who wears a shimmering Reed Krakoff dress on the second cover, says she loves coming up with maternity creations that make her feel edgy and sexy

'I put a lot of thought into how I wanted to unveil it,' she explained. 'It was important to me that I was able to do it myself. I was extremely nervous. It was the toughest red carpet I ever did.

'I didn't want a crazy picture or gossip story to break the news, so I decided to say nothing and proudly show my baby bump. I felt it was more powerful to see the love and enthusiasm as opposed to saying anything.'

Of course, for Beyoncé, there is no shortage of designers prepared to loan her clothes - she counts Tom Ford and Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci among her personal friends.

And her stylist, Ty Hunter, is always on hand - even helping her put together outfits for her days off.


Singer Beyonce arrives at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards at Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on August 28, 2011 in Los Angeles
Singer Beyonce arrives at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards at Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE on August 28, 2011 in Los Angeles
'Extremely nervous': Beyoncé admitted that deciding what to wear to announce her pregnancy in August was an epic task - the orange Lanvin gown she chose was one of 70 she considered



The singer, who is usually very guarded about discussing her decade-long relationship, also spoke about Jay-Z, describing their 'unbreakable friendship'.

'We have been together since I was 20 years old...' she said. 'I respect him so much; he is a great man and a great artist.'

She continued: 'We focused three years on our marriage and found that it brought us an even stronger bond and connection... The best thing about marriage is the amount of growth you have because you can no longer hide from your fears and insecurities.



Beyonce Knowles attends the Beyonce Pulse fragrance launch at Macy's Herald Square on September 22, 2011 in New York City
Beyonce is all smiles as she steps out of a downtown New York City hotel 300911



Bump in the spotlight: The star says dressing to show off her pregnancy over the past six weeks has been fun

'There’s someone right there calling you out on your flaws and building you up when you need the support. If you are with the right person, it brings out the best version of you.'

Now, she says, she is more ready than ever to be a mother.

'It was important to me that I gave myself time to focus on becoming the woman I want to be, building my empire, my relationship, and my self-worth, before I became a mother,' she said. 'Now God has blessed us with the ultimate.'

Beyoncé covers the November issue of Harper's Bazaar, on newsstands from October 25. The full interview and more photos visit harpersbazaar.com/beyonce

BEHIND-THE-SCENES ON BEYONCE'S HARPER'S BAZAAR SHOOT